Friday, May 22, 2009

Classic Art Deco Space


As I've said before, in my humble opinion, THE quintessential nadir of Art Deco, was the French liner Normandie. And the premier space on the ship was the 1st class dining room. Longer, and larger than the 'hall of mirrors' at Versailles, this room had more Lalique and Christophe than can be imagined.
I think the 'unsung' heroes of architecture, are Naval Architects. The Normandie, was the stylistic equivalent of the Chrysler building.....except that it was capable of traveling 35 miles an hour. Amazing

1 comment:

  1. I could not agree more. My aunt sailed on the Normandie in the thirties. I have a book about the ship, and I even had some menus from the voyage, which were quite wonderful; I sold them, to a collector in Switzerland.

    ReplyDelete